cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedupe - need to select record type based on owner profile

michael-wtds
Frequent Contributor

I have duplicate contacts assigned to the same owner, but the records have different record types.   I need to make the winning record type based on the owner's profile name.

In one example the record owner profile is Institutional, and the record types for the contact records are Retail and Institutional.  So, in this case I need to make the winning record type Institutional. 

I was trying to use a field rule for this, but I can't seem to come up with a scoring system that will work.

I tried using using the following 4 conditions in a winner rule for testing -

Owner Profile Name contains Institutional +5
Record Type Name contains Institutional +5
Owner Profile Name contains Retail +5
Record Type Name contains Retail +5

But each record always ends up with the same score:

Record 1: Owner Profile=Institutional (+5); Record Type = Institutional (+5); Total score 10
Record 2: Owner Profile=Institutional (+5); Record Type = Retail (+5); Total score 10

Is there another way I can do this, or would I need to create a formula field in Salesforce to identify the winning record type?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

michael-wtds
Frequent Contributor

ChatGPT came back with a solution that got me past a few records with just changing the weighting of the score.
Owner Profile Name contains Institutional +15
Record Type Name contains Institutional +20
Owner Profile Name contains Retail +10
Record Type Name contains Retail +5

This worked for the small number records that needed to be merged, but I'd definitely appreciate any other suggestions.

Thank you!

michael-wtds
Frequent Contributor

I'll probably have to open a case to troubleshoot this, as I'm getting an error when merging the different record types because of a restricted picklist.

I used the same field scoring rules on the restricted picklist that I used on the record type, but I'm guessing there may be some order of operation that is trying to update the picklist value before the record type is changed.  Or maybe this is a known limitation of field scoring rules.

When I manually selected the winning record based on the record type, I can subsequently see in the record's field history that the field rules are being applied after the merge. 

What's odd is that I tried making the restricted picklist values available for the alternate record type, but I still couldn't complete the merge in DTV, evan after a restart.  So, it's getting a little too deep to try and figure out why this isn't working!

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @MichaelC2C ,

This would be a great question for Office Hours! 😄

Are you attempting to choose a Winning record using Wining Rules or are you attempting to choose a winning field based on Field Rules?

Thanks,

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Senior Customer Success Manager