cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Modify Module use nested if to update a field

pgiovane
Enthusiast

Hi All,

Am building a nested If statement to update a field based on the values of two fields:

IF(OR($(FIELD_A)="VALUE A" & $(FIELD_B)<>"VALUE X'",$(FIELD_B)="NEW VALUE",

IF(OR($FIELD_A)='VALUE B" & $(FIELD_B)<>"VALUE Z", $(FIELD_B)="NEW_VALUE_1", ETC))

So, for example, if Field A = 'Apple' and Field B <>'Red', update Field B = 'Red', if field A = 'Orange' and Field B <> 'Orange', updated Field B = 'Orange'

I used the solution posted by anthonyvalidity on 7/6/23 as a starting point but my results are all 'true' or 'false' instead of the updated value that i want.

Thanks!

Pam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @pgiovane !

There's a couple things that I'm seeing as problematic with the formula you provided.  It sounds like you're wanting to use an AND formula in both IF formulas.  The second IF formula will be used if the first IF statement is not true.  This is what I imagine the formula would look like:

IF(AND($(FIELD_A)="VALUE A",$(FIELD_B)<>"VALUE X"),"NEW VALUE", IF(AND(($FIELD_A)="VALUE B",$(FIELD_B)<>"VALUE Z"),"NEW_VALUE_1",$(FIELD_B)))

Note that you don't tell the formula where you want the true value to be - that is done when you select the field you want to change on the left side.

AnthonyValidity_0-1712325422584.png

1. Outer IF Function:

• The outermost IF function checks two conditions using the AND function.
    • If both conditions are TRUE, it returns "NEW VALUE".
    • If either condition is FALSE, it proceeds to the next part of the formula.
  2. Nested IF Function:

• If the outermost IF function's conditions are not met, the formula enters a nested IF function.
    • The nested IF function also checks two conditions using the AND function.
    • If both conditions are TRUE, it returns "NEW_VALUE_1".
  3. Default Value:

• If none of the conditions in the IF functions are met, the formula returns the original value of $(FIELD_B).

This formula checks the values of $(FIELD_A) and $(FIELD_B). If $(FIELD_A) is "VALUE A" and $(FIELD_B) is not "VALUE X", it returns "NEW VALUE". If $(FIELD_A) is "VALUE B" and $(FIELD_B) is not "VALUE Z", it returns "NEW_VALUE_1". If neither of these conditions is met, it returns the original value of $(FIELD_B).

IF(AND(logical1, logical2), value_if_true, IF(AND(logical1, logical2), value_if_true, value_if_false))

Regards,

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Senior Customer Success Manager

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @pgiovane !

There's a couple things that I'm seeing as problematic with the formula you provided.  It sounds like you're wanting to use an AND formula in both IF formulas.  The second IF formula will be used if the first IF statement is not true.  This is what I imagine the formula would look like:

IF(AND($(FIELD_A)="VALUE A",$(FIELD_B)<>"VALUE X"),"NEW VALUE", IF(AND(($FIELD_A)="VALUE B",$(FIELD_B)<>"VALUE Z"),"NEW_VALUE_1",$(FIELD_B)))

Note that you don't tell the formula where you want the true value to be - that is done when you select the field you want to change on the left side.

AnthonyValidity_0-1712325422584.png

1. Outer IF Function:

• The outermost IF function checks two conditions using the AND function.
    • If both conditions are TRUE, it returns "NEW VALUE".
  2. Nested IF Function:

• If the outermost IF function's conditions are not met, the formula enters a nested IF function.
    • The nested IF function also checks two conditions using the AND function.
    • If both conditions are TRUE, it returns "NEW_VALUE_1".
  3. Default Value:

• If none of the conditions in the IF functions are met, the formula returns the original value of $(FIELD_B).

This formula checks the values of $(FIELD_A) and $(FIELD_B). If $(FIELD_A) is "VALUE A" and $(FIELD_B) is not "VALUE X", it returns "NEW VALUE". If $(FIELD_A) is "VALUE B" and $(FIELD_B) is not "VALUE Z", it returns "NEW_VALUE_1". If neither of these conditions is met, it returns the original value of $(FIELD_B).

IF(AND(logical1, logical2), value_if_true, IF(AND(logical1, logical2), value_if_true, value_if_false))

Regards,

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Senior Customer Success Manager

Hi there,

Yes, your suggestion is working; duh me for not switching out the 'or' for the 'and'. So far, so good though.

Thanks!

Pam