cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to change report/dashboard folder permissions

MarcDBehr
Contributor

Looking to see if anybody had any suggestions on how to change the permissions (add/delete) on dashboard and report folders using DemandTools. Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MarcDBehr I did some quick testing within the Tune module to see if this is something that can be updated by DemandTools and it appears I was not able to ☹️ This is most likely due to it being meta data as suggested by @CRMSarah.

One of my favorite tips for when you're unsure of whether or not you can update certain fields/data is to quickly open up the Tune module, pull a data set of the records/fields you're trying to update, and see if it will allow you to make that change! That is a quick way to see if it's possible to update within other modules. Plus, you can quickly revert any of the changes you've made by using the Revert button on the top right.

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JonG_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @MarcDBehr, I just want to make sure I understand properly before giving you any answers. Are you looking to edit user permissions within DemandTools to limit access to certain modules? Or am I misunderstanding? Please let me know, thank you!

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

MarcDBehr
Contributor

Hi Jon,

We have a large number of report and dashboard folders within Salesforce that have specific sharing rules (so, share with particular Roles or Users). We are updating some roles in Salesforce and we want to be able to say "If Role X currently has access to the folder, add Role Y with the same permissions". 

Currently, my thinking is that I can do this with some Apex in Salesforce, but I wanted to see if this is something that we could also do using DemandTools (so an admin could handle the task)?

Thanks!

@MarcDBehr I did some quick testing within the Tune module to see if this is something that can be updated by DemandTools and it appears I was not able to ☹️ This is most likely due to it being meta data as suggested by @CRMSarah.

One of my favorite tips for when you're unsure of whether or not you can update certain fields/data is to quickly open up the Tune module, pull a data set of the records/fields you're trying to update, and see if it will allow you to make that change! That is a quick way to see if it's possible to update within other modules. Plus, you can quickly revert any of the changes you've made by using the Revert button on the top right.

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

CRMSarah
Frequent Contributor

Hi @MarcDBehr - I don't believe that this object is available in DT because it's only available by metadata API (which I don't believe is available in DT). 

(This might help or at least give you something else to google to get you closer: Report Folder Permissions