cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedupe: Exclude Contacts with Opportunities

MikePLexia
Enthusiast

Hey all! We are starting our contacting deduping process in our Org and one issue we ran into was Contacts with Contact Roles, therefore, related to Opps. As we want to preserve as much data as possible and abide by our strict contact role validations, I am trying to dedupe and exclude any contacts related to Opportunities, altogether.

I cannot find a way to do this in the Record Selection Criteria so it makes me think, this may not be possible. Are there any suggestions out there?

For anyone who pauses to read and comment, thank you and I appreciate it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JonG_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @MikePLexia, this is a great question!

Currently there is not a way to accomplish this just by using the Record Selection Criteria. This section is unable to look down at those related objects in a way to filter on - I would suggest following the steps listed here to submit this as a feature request. This will be reviewed by our team and determined whether or not it is a possibility.

You could potentially create a process within Modify to stamp your Contacts that are associated with Opportunities; This could be done by modifying the Contact object, using the "Record Count" action, and summing up the # of Opportunities related to contacts. Using Modify you could post that value on your Contact object (a custom field would need to be created. This could be hidden) & then use that field to condition on within Dedupe.

Keep in mind that when doing this the field would not be updated automatically unless you Schedule the Modify scenario to do this on a regular basis.

I am curious to hear if other users have found solutions for this! Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JonG_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @MikePLexia, this is a great question!

Currently there is not a way to accomplish this just by using the Record Selection Criteria. This section is unable to look down at those related objects in a way to filter on - I would suggest following the steps listed here to submit this as a feature request. This will be reviewed by our team and determined whether or not it is a possibility.

You could potentially create a process within Modify to stamp your Contacts that are associated with Opportunities; This could be done by modifying the Contact object, using the "Record Count" action, and summing up the # of Opportunities related to contacts. Using Modify you could post that value on your Contact object (a custom field would need to be created. This could be hidden) & then use that field to condition on within Dedupe.

Keep in mind that when doing this the field would not be updated automatically unless you Schedule the Modify scenario to do this on a regular basis.

I am curious to hear if other users have found solutions for this! Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

Hey Jonathan! Funny enough, I was between asking you directly, since you are our AE, or posting on the community. Looks like I got the best of both! I had the same curiosity to see if any other users have had the same question when running dedupe which is why I went with the Community.

Creating a field and filling it in was our fallback path and it's great to see that within Modify, I can easily get that done. I will follow your instructions and attempt that. Thank you for the help and support!

I will also submit a detailed feature request for the team to review.

Cheers,

Mike

jtanudja
Enthusiast

Has there been any feature release to utilize child/related record count as Record Selection Criteria?

Pugs_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

@jtanudja At the moment, the only way to utilize child objects within Record Selection Criteria would be to populate a field on the Parent Record using Modify's Record Count and then utilizing that field for your search. 

Record Count: Perform a count of child objects related to a parent record.
  • For example, you can perform a record count of contacts at the account level to identify how many accounts have 0 contacts (that is, <1 contact) associated.