cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter by Comparing Between Fields

RichTUniti
Enthusiast

As a DemandTools V user, with the Export module, or possibly Tune or Modify, I would like to filter the results by comparing one field to another, such that the results include only records that have different values in the two fields. Furthermore, I would like this to work with lookup fields, such that I could compare a value in one field of the primary object to a value in a field of the parent object. Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @RichTUniti,

I believe you could use the Match Module to compare two fields on a record.  Match will give you both the records that have the same value and those that do not.  You can just export this data, as you would in Export, or you can grab the SF IDs from the file and use them to condition on a batch in other modules.

You're going to open the Match module and make sure the Source is the same environment that you're logged into:

AnthonyValidity_0-1699037569721.png

You're going to add two conditions on your match step:  the record ID and then another condition where you're matching two both fields.  In my below example my condition is comparing the email field to our alternate email field:

AnthonyValidity_1-1699037642648.png

Any record in the Single Record Matches tab will have the same value in both fields.  Any records in the No CRM Record Match tab will not have the same value in both fields.

AnthonyValidity_2-1699037696132.png

You have the ability to export everything, just the matched records or just the non-matched records:

AnthonyValidity_3-1699037738979.png

If you're wanting to take the list of records and use them in another module, you would take the exported file and while in excel use the TEXTJOIN formula to create a comma delimited list of the record IDs.  You would then paste that list in a condition in step 1 of the module so that you'll only see those records:

AnthonyValidity_4-1699037864717.pngAnthonyValidity_5-1699037941385.pngAnthonyValidity_6-1699037956588.png

I also will add that this can be done with a parent object recod field as well.  You would just choose that field during the matching step.

I think the bigger question is why you'd like to do this - what is the end results?  When you find the records where the fields do not match, what do you plan on doing with that information?

Hope this helps!

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Senior Customer Success Manager

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @RichTUniti,

I believe you could use the Match Module to compare two fields on a record.  Match will give you both the records that have the same value and those that do not.  You can just export this data, as you would in Export, or you can grab the SF IDs from the file and use them to condition on a batch in other modules.

You're going to open the Match module and make sure the Source is the same environment that you're logged into:

AnthonyValidity_0-1699037569721.png

You're going to add two conditions on your match step:  the record ID and then another condition where you're matching two both fields.  In my below example my condition is comparing the email field to our alternate email field:

AnthonyValidity_1-1699037642648.png

Any record in the Single Record Matches tab will have the same value in both fields.  Any records in the No CRM Record Match tab will not have the same value in both fields.

AnthonyValidity_2-1699037696132.png

You have the ability to export everything, just the matched records or just the non-matched records:

AnthonyValidity_3-1699037738979.png

If you're wanting to take the list of records and use them in another module, you would take the exported file and while in excel use the TEXTJOIN formula to create a comma delimited list of the record IDs.  You would then paste that list in a condition in step 1 of the module so that you'll only see those records:

AnthonyValidity_4-1699037864717.pngAnthonyValidity_5-1699037941385.pngAnthonyValidity_6-1699037956588.png

I also will add that this can be done with a parent object recod field as well.  You would just choose that field during the matching step.

I think the bigger question is why you'd like to do this - what is the end results?  When you find the records where the fields do not match, what do you plan on doing with that information?

Hope this helps!

Anthony Lardiere Jr

RichTUniti
Enthusiast

Brilliant! That works.

And thank you Anthony for taking the time to explain it so well, in steps, and with marked-up screenshots.

Besides solving my problem now, you helped me realize some tricks and features of DT that I didn't know exist, and they should help me for other use cases.

To answer your question, "why you'd like to do this - what is the end results?"  It's because this is a data clean-up project that is needed to get the field's values in sync, now that we have put in place controls to prevent mismatched values from being entered.

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @RichTUniti,

It's my pleasure!  I'm so glad that it helped you and also allowed you to think of new ideas you can leverage this with.

I asked about the end result because you can use Modify to use an IF formula and then change values of a specific field based upon if it is true or false.  If you can change the field to a predictable value, you may want to use Modify to do this!

Regards, 

Anthony Lardiere Jr