cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find and Replace feature

cirabor
Explorer

Hello all, I have a situation I am trying to fix in our CRM. I uploaded data into our CRM with comma delimiter as supposed to a space delimiter. What is the appropriate module in DemandTools to use to do a find and replace to replace the comma with space ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

LeonaBelkMSSU
Frequent Contributor

I think your best option is using the Demand Tools Import option. I found this information on Import here  to be very helpful.

What I would do in this scenario is create a spreadsheet file for the records that need to be updated. I would make sure that all the information I need to have corrected is correct in each field. For example, if you have lastName and firstName as two separate fields and in error added a comma to the end of the last name, I would make sure that the last names in the new file were showing exactly how they needed to be in the CRM. In the file you are going to be using for the import, you need to make sure you have a primary key identifier so the process can ensure the correct record is being updated. I use contact ID for my records in Salesforce. You can then use either the update or upsert option in the Import module to update the records. 

We had a similar issue where one phone number was imported to thousands of records in errror and this is how we updated them all to remove it. Hope that helps get you going in the right direction. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

LeonaBelkMSSU
Frequent Contributor

Good morning @cirabor. My first question when tackling this would be to identify the information. Was it a specific group of students or data that you could easily use the Modify option in Demand Tools to update only the specific information? That way you aren't replacing every single comma with a space. 

cirabor
Explorer

Thanks for your response. This is for a particular group of people that I am trying to replace the comma separator. Example: Doe, John

I hope this helps?  

LeonaBelkMSSU
Frequent Contributor

I think your best option is using the Demand Tools Import option. I found this information on Import here  to be very helpful.

What I would do in this scenario is create a spreadsheet file for the records that need to be updated. I would make sure that all the information I need to have corrected is correct in each field. For example, if you have lastName and firstName as two separate fields and in error added a comma to the end of the last name, I would make sure that the last names in the new file were showing exactly how they needed to be in the CRM. In the file you are going to be using for the import, you need to make sure you have a primary key identifier so the process can ensure the correct record is being updated. I use contact ID for my records in Salesforce. You can then use either the update or upsert option in the Import module to update the records. 

We had a similar issue where one phone number was imported to thousands of records in errror and this is how we updated them all to remove it. Hope that helps get you going in the right direction. 

That is a great idea. Thanks