cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DeDupe Process: Merging of Valid vs Invalid Phone Number

rishabh08
Contributor

I have two custom fields in Salesforce: one is Sx Primary Phone and the other is Sx Primary Cell. When winning rules were applied to the final process, I noticed that the winning rule SX Primary Cell has the number 1111111111 while the non-winning record has the valid phone number mentioned. While merging how do I get the valid phone number from nonwinning to winning? Note: The winning rule criteria is the Old creation Date (99), followed by the Last Modified Date (Newest). I would like to include the valid phone number in my winning record. Any suggestions on how to do this?

5 REPLIES 5

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @rishabh08 ,

As far as a patten that you can descern for Winning / Non-Winning phone numbers on these records, what is different from the losing record's phone number as compared to the winning record's phone number.  I'm able to tell because all the numbers are the same in the winning records phone number.  What is different about the losing records phone number that we can possibly score on?

This can possibly be done in Dedupe by creating a Field Rule override that scores the phone numbers, but it may be hard if there isn't a consistent pattent (such as there's brackets in the good phone number).

If we can't use Field Rules to accomplish this, we may be able to get rid of the bad numbers first in Modify before proceeding to Dedupe.

I look forward to your response, 

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Senior Customer Success Manager

rishabh08
Contributor

Hi @AnthonyValidity ,

Thank you for your prompt response. In regards to your comments, this is what I know from my POV:

1. The phone number '1111111111' is used as a placeholder when customers do not provide a phone number. This is a standard practice in our data management. However, there are instances where a valid phone number may be automatically added by our third-party marketing app for the losing account. As a result, there is a difference between the losing account's phone number and the winning account's phone number, but this difference is due to our data management practices.

2. Does applying 'FieldCopyUnique' with 'Overwrite' as a field rule overwrite the '1111111111' placeholders with valid phone numbers? How will the DemandTools know when this step should be executed? Do I need to write a custom query for this, or should I implement it within my winning rule criteria? Could you please provide more detailed guidance on this process?

3. While considering the option to address the '1111111111' placeholders, I'd like to mention that I've been advised not to delete or modify phone numbers in Salesforce, even if they are used as placeholders for cases where customers haven't provided their phone numbers or email addresses. These placeholders serve a specific purpose as valid examples in our data. Given this, what would be the recommended approach to handle these placeholders without altering them in Salesforce?

Hi @rishabh08 ,

How is a normal phone number formatted?  Are they all from North America?  Does the placeholder always show as 1's?  

Regards,

Anthony Lardiere Jr

rishabh08
Contributor

Hi @AnthonyValidity ,

Yes. They are all formatted in North America. If the customer provides the number, it would be in (xxx) xxx - xxxx. There are instances where the numbers would be without the brackets or dashes (like this xxxxxxxxxxx. 

If the customer does not provide any phone number, then the salespeople would write it as '111-111-1111'. Hope this makes sense.

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @rishabh08 ,

This is what I would recommend with the information you provided:

1. Run a Modify module scenario that will properly format North American phone numbers.  The formula seems to ignore "111-111-1111" which is good.  Formula Name:  NAPhoneFix
  2. You could then use a custom scoring rule in Field Rules on the phone number field that states the winning field should be one that contains "(".

Modify Module:  https://knowledge.validity.com/hc/en-us/articles/7989583934875-Modify
Modify Formulas:  https://knowledge.validity.com/hc/en-us/articles/7989596657819-DemandTools-Modify-Formula-Dictionary

Dedupe:https://knowledge.validity.com/hc/en-us/articles/7989584122907-Dedupe 
Dedupe Field Rules:  https://knowledge.validity.com/hc/en-us/articles/16452970878875-Field-Rules

Regards,

Anthony Lardiere Jr