cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Moving Stale Reports/Dashboards

carilovorn
Contributor

I am using DemandTools 5.21 and cannot figure out how to move stale reports from one report folder to another for deletion. 

Which scenario category do I select? Is there a help document I can reference?  If not available, is it on the product roadmap?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It was my goal to have as much done with one tool as possible to steamline processes and onboarding for my team thus using DemandTools as much as possible.  We went back to Workbench for this; did not think about going back to Classic but will keep that in mind too!  Thanks!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @carilovorn ,

Currently we do not have this functionality in DemandTools 5.x and it is not currently on our roadmap.  We definitely want to hear what you'd like to see in the platform, so please submit this as a feature request.  Click here to find out how!

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Senior Customer Success Manager

Murphybp79
Frequent Contributor

@carilovorn This is something that plagues all Salesforce Admins.  Unfortunately you have to use Workbench and the Metadata API to do this.  https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=sf.bulk_move_reports_dashboards.htm&type=5.   Or you can switch back to Classic where you can do drag 'n drop of reports.  https://theeverydayadmin.com/2020/04/06/how-admins-can-mass-move-reports-and-dashboards/

It was my goal to have as much done with one tool as possible to steamline processes and onboarding for my team thus using DemandTools as much as possible.  We went back to Workbench for this; did not think about going back to Classic but will keep that in mind too!  Thanks!!

Murphybp79
Frequent Contributor

Totally agree.  It would be nice to have this ability in DemandTools.  You can submit the feature requests for it as Anthony mentioned.  I submitted it as well, but don't think it shows up for others to comment on until someone on the Validity side adds it to the "Under Consideration" section.  I don't see anything showing up in the "Not on Roadmap" section so not sure how that part works. 

michael-wtds
Frequent Contributor

@Murphybp79 said it best, and I was surprised to find that you can't edit the report folder even in the Developer Console.   However, I did find a simpler Metadata API option that works with Visual Studio Code, if you can get this working. 

Here's the trailhead on installing VS for Salesforce -https://trailhead.salesforce.com/content/learn/projects/quick-start-lightning-web-components/set-up-...

Once you have VS installed with Salesforce CLI extensions, add the extention "Salesforce Package.xml Generator Extension for VS Code" to select the reports you want to move.

1. In Salesforce, create the new report folder. Then go to the rename folder option to get the Folder Unique Name.  In my test, I used "AdminArchivedUnusedReports"

michaelwtds_1-1679503373632.png

2. In VS, under the reports folder, create a new folder with the Folder Unique Name.

3. Expand the folders for where the existing reports are located, select the reports to move and drag them to the new folder.

michaelwtds_0-1679503250618.png

4. Right click on the folder name and select "SFDX: Deploy Source to Org"

michaelwtds_2-1679503551028.png

5. After the deployment completes check Salesforce to confirm the reports were moved. 

michaelwtds_3-1679503651958.png

Hope this helps!

I just found a case where I needed to move all the existing Salesforce sample reports to a new hidden folder.  So, here are the details to get this done in Visual Studio.

1. Create a new folder in Lightning, I called it "Salesforce Sample Reports"

2. Add a sample report to this new folder.

3. In Visual Studio Code, retrieve all the reports using Salesforce Package.xml Generator.

4. In Lightning, copy the existing folder name (this will be needed to create a new subfolder), and then rename the original report unique name with something like (x).

michaelwtds_3-1712686126176.png

5. In the Salesforce Sample Reports folder, create a new folder with the unique API name shown in VSC.  (When trying to copy the unique name from lightning, it strips out the underscores.)

michaelwtds_4-1712686442932.png

6. In VSC, drag the renamed folder to the Salesforce Sample Reports folder, and then right click and deploy to source.

lNlmDtX.gif

7. Check Salesforce report folder to confirm reports have been moved to the new subfolder.

michaelwtds_5-1712686501464.png

8. Go back to original source folder that was renamed in step 4 and delete the folder.

Murphybp79
Frequent Contributor

@michael-wtds Nice tip.  I'll check this option out.  I haven't gotten as proficient with VS as I'd like to. 

@Murphybp79 VS is gold when it comes making bulk changes to report filters, or fixing dashboards that want load when a report field changes.  So, I highly recommend getting familiar with it just for report and dashboard fixes.

robhemmerich
Enthusiast

The old DemandTools (v2.91) had its own module called ReportEdit just for managing reports. That's something that isn't in DT 5.