cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Populate Target Lookup Field using an External ID while using the Import Module

kevSF
Explorer

Hi all! A new user here, so appreciate any help.

I am using the Import module in Demand Tools V to migrate some records from one instance of Salesforce to another. 

Are we able to use an external ID field to populate a lookup field while importing?

For example, when we want to import Opportunity records, we want to populate the Account lookup field by using a custom External ID field (a unique identifier) to find the matching Account record in the target system.

We populated the External ID field on the Account record on the target system with the original record ID value from the source system. Since we don't have the target record ID, I want to use the External ID (Source System Record ID) to find the matching record. I believe this can be done easily in DataLoader, but unsure how this can be achieved in DemandTools V.

We are using an Import File as the Source when doing this operation. Any guidance will be much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

Murphybp79
Frequent Contributor

You need the new Account ID to associate the Opportunity to the Account.  You can't do a lookup as part of an import.  Depending on how many records you are working with, you could either export the Accounts from the Target system with the External Id and the Account ID, and then update your source Opportunity File with the new Account Id.  Or you could create a Flow in the Target system that does the lookup using the External ID and then populates the Account Id field.