cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Created Date

SummerinGreece
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

Need to update created date in a handul of opportunities.

I have all the permissions, yet trying both Mass Effect and Power Grid doen's work. Is this possible through Demand Tools or do I need to revert to Data Loader?

Thank you,

Georgina 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @SummerinGreece ,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  If you're using Legacy DemandTools  (LDT) or DemandTools V (DTV) you're using an API to communicate with Salesforce - that's how we insert and update records.  It is not something you need to get because you're already using it.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of Salesforce as far as I can see.  I don't think you would be able to update the createdate with any program since it is locked down by Salesforce.  The only other option is to duplicate the Opportunities with an insert - making sure you're inserting a createdate value.  You could then Dedupe the Opps and make sure the oldest createdate wins or you can put a flag on the newly created ones and make that the winning record as well.

I tested this in DemandTools V (DTV) and was successfully able to insert a date/time in the createdate field.  I know this was also possible in Legacy DemandTools (LDT).

Hope this helps!

Anthony

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Senior Customer Success Manager

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @SummerinGreece ,

My understanding is that you need the global "Create Audit Fields" turned on in your org, and the actual permission enabled for specific users or admins, and at that point you can use the API (Legacy DemandTools 2.91 (LDT)) to insert records with modified createddate values.  I don't think any program will be able to update an existin record's createddate.

Check out this article:  https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=000386065&type=1

Hope this helps!

Anthony
Customer Success Manager

Anthony Lardiere Jr

Hi @AnthonyValidity permissions are set.
What do you mean by API (Legacy DemandTools 2.91 (LDT))?

Best regards,
Georgina

Hi @SummerinGreece ,

Legacy DemandTools and DemandTools V (DTV) use API to communicate with Salesforce.  Essentially, it is a limiation of the API and is locked by Salesforce.

It is my understanding that you cannot update that field once a record is created.  You can only manipulate the field during insert.  Are you inserting records or updating existing Opportunities?  

Regards,

Anthony
Customer Success Manager

Anthony Lardiere Jr

SummerinGreece
Frequent Contributor

Hi @AnthonyValidity , 

Need to update some existing opportunities as Create Date is after Close Date and this impacts pipeline reporting.

How can I get the API?

Best regards,

Georgina

Hi @SummerinGreece ,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  If you're using Legacy DemandTools  (LDT) or DemandTools V (DTV) you're using an API to communicate with Salesforce - that's how we insert and update records.  It is not something you need to get because you're already using it.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of Salesforce as far as I can see.  I don't think you would be able to update the createdate with any program since it is locked down by Salesforce.  The only other option is to duplicate the Opportunities with an insert - making sure you're inserting a createdate value.  You could then Dedupe the Opps and make sure the oldest createdate wins or you can put a flag on the newly created ones and make that the winning record as well.

I tested this in DemandTools V (DTV) and was successfully able to insert a date/time in the createdate field.  I know this was also possible in Legacy DemandTools (LDT).

Hope this helps!

Anthony

Anthony Lardiere Jr

I'm having this same issue and wanted to see if it was ever resolved.

There is a setting to allow you to give users permissions to set the Created Date field upon record creation 
(see: https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=000386699&language=en_US&type=1)

I have enabled this setting and assigned it my user record for my org.  However, when trying to use the Upsert this seems to limited to Do Not Update.  But what I really need is an option to update if empty, since existing records shouldn't be updated.

Hi @michael-wtds,

Since you cannot change the Created Date on existing records, Do Not Update is the only option you'll have available to you.  If the rows do not match to any existing records, an insert would then occur and if you have information in that column, and the header mapped to the correct Salesforce field, the date will be inserted with that value in  your file.

Regards,

Anthony Lardiere Jr

Hi @AnthonyValidity , thank you for the reminder about the upsert field update rules.  I forgot that these only apply to the matched records.  And, I did confirm that the created dated when mapped would be updated on insert.  

Thank you!
Michael