cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Salesforce as a Source

Matthew_Rushton
Contributor

I'm surely not alone here, but the thought struck me, why am I running reports in Salesforce to get a list of Record IDs only to use it as an Excel upload file for the changes I want to effect?!

Why not simply use our Salesforce instance itself as the Source and filter the records I want to make changes on and then get Demand Tools to change the fields!

I may be missing something obvious here, but I've not been able to find anthing about this in the forum or Help and when I attempted this via 'Import', I was back to what appears to be the normal data matching screen, when I have already used the 'Select Subset' button and used filtering on field names to identify the records I want to effect changes on.

If anyone out there in the know is feeling helpful, could you fill me in on the correct steps to achieve this please? Cutting out the step of having to run reports to get the source data would offer significant time savings!

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JonG_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @Matthew_Rushton, happy to help out!

When using Salesforce as a source in Import, this is under the assumption that you are either a) moving data from one salesforce instance to another or b) moving data from one object to another within the same instance.

If you are looking to use Salesforce as a source in order to make updates to the records you're querying, you will most likely want to utilize Modify or Tune to assist in these efforts. Modify will allow you to make updates in bulk to the records being queries, whereas Tune will allow you to make one off updates to records in a grid view.

Alternatively, if those options wouldn't necessarily work with your use case, you could use the Export module to export data from Salesforce into a spreadsheet vs. creating a report in Salesforce to achieve the same effect. That you can keep it all within DemandTools!

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding & I'll be happy to offer additional suggestions.

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JonG_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @Matthew_Rushton, happy to help out!

When using Salesforce as a source in Import, this is under the assumption that you are either a) moving data from one salesforce instance to another or b) moving data from one object to another within the same instance.

If you are looking to use Salesforce as a source in order to make updates to the records you're querying, you will most likely want to utilize Modify or Tune to assist in these efforts. Modify will allow you to make updates in bulk to the records being queries, whereas Tune will allow you to make one off updates to records in a grid view.

Alternatively, if those options wouldn't necessarily work with your use case, you could use the Export module to export data from Salesforce into a spreadsheet vs. creating a report in Salesforce to achieve the same effect. That you can keep it all within DemandTools!

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding & I'll be happy to offer additional suggestions.

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

Matthew_Rushton
Contributor

Thanks @JonG_Validity .  I've not tried those functions before, but having read up on them now, it appears that for the particular task I had in mind, the 'Modify' function would be the way to go.  I will give that a go on the next time this comes up 👍