cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking down a Scenario into batches

Matthew_Rushton
Contributor

I was wondering whether the following is possible and if so, how the best way may be to go about it.

I have a large number of records which need updating, whilst I could easily do this in one hit, there is however a knock-on effect of updaing these records which causes extra work for another team.  I have therefore agreed to 'drip feed' these updates in at X number of records per day.

Is there anyway I can set up a scheduled Scenario that would identify all the records that needed to be updated and to what, but limited the number of records to be changed to a maximum number, so this could simply run each day until all records were updated?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JonG_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @Matthew_Rushton, it's great to hear you're looking to schedule some scenarios to assist with your data quality efforts - although the Schedule module cannot break down how many records are being worked with, we can make some updates to your actual scenario to help account for this.

If you are using any module that doesn't require a file to update your records, your best option would be to utilize the Record Selection Criteria in Step 1 & think of a field you could use to condition on how many records are being updated at once. Depending on which record type you are updating, this could vary. One common suggestion would be to have 1 scenario account for records that start with the letters "A,B,C,D" & then have separate scenarios to account for the others. Those scenarios can then either be bundled together in Schedule or you could create separate schedule jobs for each scenario.

If you are using Import to perform these updates, you could potentially use the "Select a subset" option after your file is uploaded to your scenario. Once again, you would need to create multiple scenarios for each set of records, but you can easily do so by making the change & then using "Save As".

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding & I will see what else we can do.

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JonG_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @Matthew_Rushton, it's great to hear you're looking to schedule some scenarios to assist with your data quality efforts - although the Schedule module cannot break down how many records are being worked with, we can make some updates to your actual scenario to help account for this.

If you are using any module that doesn't require a file to update your records, your best option would be to utilize the Record Selection Criteria in Step 1 & think of a field you could use to condition on how many records are being updated at once. Depending on which record type you are updating, this could vary. One common suggestion would be to have 1 scenario account for records that start with the letters "A,B,C,D" & then have separate scenarios to account for the others. Those scenarios can then either be bundled together in Schedule or you could create separate schedule jobs for each scenario.

If you are using Import to perform these updates, you could potentially use the "Select a subset" option after your file is uploaded to your scenario. Once again, you would need to create multiple scenarios for each set of records, but you can easily do so by making the change & then using "Save As".

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding & I will see what else we can do.

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

Matthew_Rushton
Contributor

Thanks Jon,

I like the idea on splitting records down into starting with groups of letters. I've adapted that slightly to apply to ranges on created date instead which is similar and gives me a better idea of batch sizes.  I am having some difficulty getting my scheduled tasks to run though.  It may just be me as I have not used this feature before, I've already reached out to support on this and booked some time in for someone to take a look at why they aren't running.

Thanks & regards

Matthew.

Sorry to hear those aren't running as planned - Support will definitely be the best route here, but in the meantime you'll just want to ensure you stay logged into DemandTools & connected to the internet while the scheduled jobs run. Additionally, you'll want to make sure your machine does not go to sleep while it is running. More info on the schedule module can be found here.

Let us know once those are up & running, I'm curious to see how it works out for you!

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager