cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malformed Data - how to fix it?

bhare1357
Frequent Contributor

Hi all - just ran the assessment module. I saw Malformed Data - almost 3k records - I think I understand what it is. However, I'm not sure how to fix it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to find those records first and then how to fix? Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @bhare1357 ,

It really depends on what type of fields we're talking about - but much can be done in Modify in bulk.  If you think it is just special characters you could condition on the beginning of your modify scenario to pull in only values that contain those special characters and even replace them with nothing.  You could also use RegExMatch to identify the malformed records, export, fix, and then use Import to update those records.  

I think there's different approaches depending on the type of object and then field we're trying to work on.  A good place to start is our Playbook section on the Help Center.  Here is the malformed data playbook.

Hope this helps!

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Customer Success Manager

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AnthonyValidity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @bhare1357 ,

It really depends on what type of fields we're talking about - but much can be done in Modify in bulk.  If you think it is just special characters you could condition on the beginning of your modify scenario to pull in only values that contain those special characters and even replace them with nothing.  You could also use RegExMatch to identify the malformed records, export, fix, and then use Import to update those records.  

I think there's different approaches depending on the type of object and then field we're trying to work on.  A good place to start is our Playbook section on the Help Center.  Here is the malformed data playbook.

Hope this helps!

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Customer Success Manager

Hi Anthony,

Does this include invalid characters, for example Accounts/contacts names with non-English characters?Is ther a way to fix non English names in English?

Thanks,

Carlos

HI @cj_malwarebytes ,

You can definitely use Modify to identify and replace non-english letters in your Salesforce.  You can use the formula named StringReplace to get the job done.  You would, however, have to search for each non-english character separately and then replace it with an English equivalant.  In other words, this would require multiple scenarios.

Another way you can do this, if you know of Excel formulas that can fix the names, you could export any records with the non-English characters, fix them in Excel, and then use the Import module to update those records.  It all depends on what is faster for you!

Hope this helps!

Anthony Lardiere Jr
Customer Success Manager

sounds good, thank you Anthony! I guess I'd go with the Excel and then Import module.

cj_malwarebytes
Frequent Contributor

Hi Anthony, I just wanted to say Thank you Again!

I've been creating a lot of Modify scenarios to fix the data in mass and saved those scenarios to rerun them anytime. With this, our data will be cleaned as much as we can. Thank you!