cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Duplicate Contacts with Contact Roles

CRMSarah
Frequent Contributor

Hey everyone, I participated in the webinar a couple of weeks ago for Advanced Duplicate handling and I thought I was all squared away but I just realized that it doesn't solve my problem because my issue spans across the Contact & Contact Roles Objects. 

We have a bunch of duplicate contacts in our system that I'm attempting to clean up, however, our business is very heavily reliant on the Roles for that Contact. So when I merge contacts, I need these Contact Roles to remain intact. I thought that the "Combine Values" option would help, however, it doesn't because technically Contact Roles is a separate object. 

Further Explanation & Background: 
To explain one step further, if a contact has a Role of "Support Contact" for an account, they show as a contact in our application which allows that person to select themselves when submitting a support case to us. 

Now, if the Contact is related to more than one account, but has a role of Support Contact one of those accounts, they are only allowed to submit Support Tickets for that particular Account. 

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

5 REPLIES 5

JonG_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

Hi @CRMSarah, we're glad to hear you attended the Advanced Dedupe Tactics webinar - it's one of my favorites!

While looking at your use case, I think we need some more information in order to guide you in the proper direction. Are you able to attend our weekly office hours tomorrow, March 8th, at 1:30 PM EST? You can register at this link & we will be able to work through this together. If not, let me know and I can message you for additional details.

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

CRMSarah
Frequent Contributor

Hey @JonG_Validity, I registered! Looking forward to talking about this. 

JonG_Validity
Validity Team Member
Validity Team Member

@CRMSarah Just following up on our conversation in Office Hours today - I have created a support ticket on your behalf and will post a solution here once found. Thank you!

Regards,

Jonathan Greenip
Customer Success Manager

CRMSarah
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much, Jonathan! 

aragon
Enthusiast

We also use contact roles and the merges will not go through if the contact roles are on both accounts. I dont know of any other way except taking those that error and going to the contact role and removing one of the relationships so it will finally merge.